Saturday 24 March 2012

No Pasaran!

Colours of the XVth Brigade
I was interested to note that the International Brigades Memorial Trust (IBMT) had designed a traveling exhibit drawing on their archive held at the Marx MemorialLibrary, entitled ‘Antifascistas’.

The exhibit focuses on the experience of the British and Irish volunteers who went to fight in the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War. As it would be in Motherwell until the end of the month I decided to pop along and take a look. I mentioned it to Uncle Norman and Terry (MuZrider) and we all decided to go together.

Interesting building showing the tower which boasts 360 degree views from the top.

I arrived early and waited for the others to turn up. Heading into the Motherwell Heritage Centre where the exhibit was located the first thing that you notice is that the exhibit itself is quite small.



As already mentioned, it focuses on the contribution of the British and Irish volunteers and of necessity the information is presented in quite broad strokes. 



Since my knowledge of the conflict was quite limited I thought that it was pitched about right. It gives a broad overview of the war as a whole, as well as including details about some of the individuals involved to personalise the whole thing. I’ll need to do some more reading on the era which, I suppose, is the whole idea.

I really must read 'Homage to Catalonia' soon.
I bought it years ago and have never gotten around to it.
Congratulations for all involved in this travelling exhibit. If you’d like to take a look for yourself then you can check the IBMT website for further details as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment